Saturday, August 16, 2014

Squaring

Squaring your quilt top is a very important step. I recommend using an appropriate sized ruler... The one I use most often is a 10" square Omnigrip by Omnigrid which I use at the corners. There are so many on the market these days, it would be hard to choose just one. I aIso use my Fiskars 6" X 24" for cutting lengthy areas and you can even tape two cutting mats end to end if you need more cutting surface area. I always square my blocks as I'm piecing; it seems to save time for me. Although, there are times when I cut for a while, sew for a while, iron for a while and then trim edges for a while. If you've caught the quilting bug, the ideas are probably in the making for the next project before you're even halfway through the one you have in progress!

The finished top should be measured in three places across the width and again in three places down the length so that the average measurement can then be determined for the final size. If all three measurements come out the same, you should pat yourself on the back because rarely does that happen. If your measurements are different, add them up and divide them by three to get the average. Then square to the average where needed. A quick way to see how off-kilter a quilt is... is to fold it in half and measure the shorter sides in various places and then fold again to see just how close your corners are matching up. Now this is only for a quick glance, don't use this method for a final measurement. I just have found that when I have folded it twice, once in half lengthwise and then again width and it comes out nice and even, I know that it is close and there will likely be less trimming to do. I have fortunately, not come across too many quilts that are so far off that it causes any headaches. Hopefully yours will be that way, too!

The importance of squaring and measuring will determine both your backing and batting sizes, but also for figuring the approximate amount of binding you will need.

I may figure the approximate binding before I quilt, but as the quilt is sandwiched and stitched together, there will be some shrinkage depending on how much detail is in the quilting. As well as the type of batting used. The more dense the quilting, the more shrinkage can occur. The less dense quilting there is, the less shrinkage there will be. However; various fabrics and how the fabric was treated or not prior to sewing, will also play a role in shrinkage and distortion. Always buy the best quality you can afford when starting a new quilt, whenever possible. A properly squared quilt will be so much more attractive and give it that keepsake quality if the extra attention is given where it's needed.

Hopefully this helps, but if there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask for help! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...